This year about half of the plants in my garden came from the nursery dumpster. I regularly get up early in the morning or stop by just after they closed to see what was in store for me. I ended up with some plants that I am less familiar with, including kohlrabi. I had bought Kohlrabi at the farmers market before, but it never came with the greens on it. The greens are totally edible and when prepared well they are delicious!
Here’s how to cook the greens:
1. pull the greens off of the bulb
2. remove the stems by cutting or ripping the green part away from the woody stems
3. Cook the greens for 2-3 mins in boiling water to soften them.
3. Remove the greens from water, drain well, place in pan for sautéing, add oil of your choice–I used Toasted Sesame Oil here.
4. Add spice and seasonings of your choice. I added some pine nuts. Salt also goes a long way!
5. Serve warm or add to a cold salad.